Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Teaser Tuesday......


Teaser from Twisted by Raven Starr coming soon from Wings E-press 2017...

Brett shook his head nervously looking around. “I’m sorry, Kris, I can’t explain it. I don’t know what happened. I was waiting for you in our secret spot then your sister came,” he shrugged his shoulders. “It just happened.”
“It just happened? You just happened to kiss my sister? You just happened to break up with me and date my sister? It just happened?”
Brett glanced down the hallway, stiffened his back and changed his tone.
“Ha! Are you begging now? How pathetic. You think I really wanted to be with you? I just wanted to sleep with you. I mean get real, Krista, look at me then look at you.” His laugh cut through her heart.
“Brett?” Mara cooed slinking up beside him to wrap her arm around his waist. “What’s going on?”
“Nothing babe, it’s cool.” He kissed the top of Mara’s head then mouthed the words ‘I’m sorry’ before Krista ran off down the hallway with a bevy of laughter echoing behind her.
“Kris? Krista?” Kim leaned over to tap her friend’s shoulder. “Are you alright, sweetie?”
“Yeah, yeah, sure. I’m sorry I had a brain fart, I guess. Getting old and senile, huh?” Krista giggled.
A wide grin spread across Kim’s face. “No way. You’re the smartest person I know.”
Krista shook her head. “Now we both know that’s not true, Kim but thanks for the vote of confidence.”
Kim leaned over and whispered, “Come on, Kris, I’m always on your side, remember best friends don’t ask where to bury the body, they just bring a shovel.”
Krista leaned back to examine Kim’s face. Did she really say that?
Suddenly, Kim slapped the table and broke out with a joyous laughter that made the other patrons turn to stare in their direction. “You looked at me like I’m crazy, Kris. Oh wow, I got you. You’re crazy. I know you wouldn’t hurt anybody, but sometimes I think everybody thinks about it at least once. Do you, Kris?”
The question caught her off caught. “Do I what?”
“Think about it? You know…killing someone.”
“Oh, my God, no, Kim. Your talking crazy bullshit, right now. I really don’t like this at all.”
 Kim picked up her drink and took a big sip.
Krista relaxed her shoulders. “Kim, I’ve known you a long time and I’ll be honest, you scare the shit outta me sometimes.”
Kim shrugged. “You don’t know what it’s like, Kris. Being second, in the shadow all the time. It gets lonely and sometimes,” she shrugged her shoulders once more. “Sometimes you wonder if someone wasn’t in your way, if your life could be different if they were dead.”
Krista stared at her friend fighting to look of panic on her face. You know what this means, don’t you?
“Well,” Krista rose to her feet and gathered her things. She put down a twenty-dollar bill for Doreen. “Listen,” she leaned down and kissed her cheek. “Don’t worry about all the other people, it’s their loss. You’re a great person. Someone that…means a lot to me. Call me sometime and we’ll hang, okay?”
Kim perked up. “Yes, I will. Cool, thanks Kris.”
“Anytime.” Krista patted Kim on her shoulder as she left the Café.
You know what this means, don’t you? You know what needs to be done, right?
Krista ducked inside her car and drove away.
Listen to me. You’re not listening.
“I am listening.” Krista snapped.
Then you know what needs to happen.
“Yes.”
Tell me.
“Kim has to die.” Krista whispered.
Exactly. See I love this game. There’s so many ways to play but first Brett.
Brett humiliated her, left her for Mara, crimes punishable by death. Unlike the easy idea for Aunt Mary’s car accident, Brett’s demise must be painful. It must eat away at him and make him understand his hateful, selfish ways.
Eat at him. The words rang out again.
Yes, I think I have an idea for you. It’ll hurt more than anyone will ever know. And he will pay.
 Krista turned up the volume on the stereo trying to drown out the laughter in her head. But it was there…it was always there. Tick-tock, Brett. Tick fucking tock.




No comments: